Feb 3, 2009

GSWW Diary. Day 3


Day 3 Diary. Post and Rail to Saunders Landing.
Left Post and Rail. Pack felt good today, I'm really happy with my Kathmandu pack, I had it fitted when I bought it, and it supports all the weight so I don't feel like I'm carrying a big load.
A short walk to Pritchards car camp, then kept walking, stopped for a cuppa on a sandy road track and laid the hoochy down. We were on a slight bend and said later that we're lucky a car didn't come belting along! Not that any cars ever did use the tracks, but they could have! (imaginations running wild again) A short walk from there found us back at Saunders landing (30 mins)
Note: Beware that the GSWW triangle signs are either not there or very confusing, it's ok to get into Saunders landing but hopeless to find a sign to get out, and there was NO sign telling us how to get on the right track to go back to Moleside. 2 posts near the boat ramp had been freshly painted white, that was the only road out, so we followed that, got lost and had to back track as we ended up out on the made road AGAIN! No GSWW signs anywhere!!
So the tip here is, follow the sandy road from Saunders and when you see another road on the left hand side with a gate that says walkers, that means you! We didn't take it the first time as we were looking for the GSWW triangle sign to tell us when to turn off. There is none.
Back to the diary.
Pitched tents and had a good swim & then lunch, gathered firewood, there wasn't much to be found and the big logs were green. The park ranger came by and helped me out by ringing my daughter. I spoke to her and told her what I was doing. Not a long talk though. (there is no mobile phone reception) Two boys came kayaking in and I took a photo of them paddling, I'll send it via email to them.
The stars tonight were wonderful, after playing with Sues new powerful torch (A la Darth Vader) we went to the landing, the night was so still the water mirrored the stars perfectly, it is something I will never forget, it was beautiful. The wild pig and the tennis ball were out in full force that night when we were tucked up in our tents. (probably in reality a cute tiny marsupial and a little frog)
Lessons to be learned today:
1. Don't go thumping into bush land trying to alert snakes of your pending presence, only wearing your sandals. The jumping ants bite!!
2. Sue, do not watch your mossie bitten arm whilst walking towards the edge of the river landing cos you will trip and nearly fall into the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment